Basement Renovation Services
Licensed & Insured Basement Renovation Services
No matter what sort of construction project you are undertaking, safety should be paramount. This is to ensure that when a room is complete, the conditions are okay to live in. When it comes to any basement renovation project, there are some issues that need to be monitored in order to maintain a safe living space. Straight-Line Construction has professionals who can remodel your basement into something special and do so at an affordable rate. We have become a trusted name on Long Island for our expert services.
Basement Renovation Safety
What To Look For
When starting any new basement renovation project, it is imperative to plan out the course of action. It is also crucial to be safe. There are some aspects during the course of a renovation that could lead to some issues. Contacting a professional, like us, will help to prevent any issues from occurring down the line.
- Downspouts are one area to watch out for. Make sure your gutters and downspouts are in their proper positions and everything is connected. The bottom of the downspouts need to be turned away from the foundation of your home and diverted at least five feet away. This is to ensure water does not pool around against the wall. A build up of water around the foundation of your home can do some serious damage.
- Grading is also another aspect to consider. Check the grading of the ground near the foundation and make sure it slopes away from your home. The water needs to flow away from your foundation and should be a minimum of 6 inches over the first 10 feet from your house.
- Windows also need to be checked in terms of basement safety, if your basement even has windows. If so, they should have wells built around them on the outside and should be constructed to provide drainage at their bottoms.
- Clogged wells could lead to water infiltrating your home.
- Dampness and mold is also an aspect you need to watch out for, because the sooner you catch that sort of problem the sonner it can be fixed. Mold can show up as dark area on walls, floors, and storage boxes. Dampness can attract infestations of pests. Look for signs of droppings along the top of your basement walls, where the framing of your home sits.
- Some basements have a sump pump that needs to be checked regularly to make sure it is discharging water properly. With it, you also need to check that it turns on at the proper pit level and that it automatically turns off properly when the level is back down. Cleaning the sump pump's strainer screen is also necessary. If it is on the ground, make sure it carries the water far enough away from the walls of your home. If it discharges below ground, make sure the connections don't leak and are not in danger of freezing in cold weather.
Long Island Basement Renovation
Call For A Free Basement Renovation Estimate!
Straight-Line Construction has years of experience in the home improvement industry. No job is too big or too small. We are located in St. James, but serve clients across Suffolk County and Long Island. For more information about our basement renovation services, please contact us today. The number to call for a free consultation is: 516-885-4824. We will provide you with all the necessary information for you to start your next basement project. With your phone call, we can also provide you with a free estimate! As we say, "One call does it all!"